The guidance around this is so vague because, ultimately, error handling
depends on what you want your program to achieve.

For example, if a banking system failed to write a monetary transaction
into some log, perhaps because of a network error, I'd expect there to be
rather thorough logic on how to make sure that everything ends in a valid
state. But what is that state? Should the transaction be written somewhere
else, so it can be resumed later? Should the transaction be aborted
altogether? Perhaps the right answer is a sub-component that triggers a red
lamp in the CEO's office to blink, so that he hurls down into the server
room and start writing apology letters from there.

But that isn't a Go question. It's a question of what the correct behavior
of your program is.

Niko