Thanks for all the responses. I spent a few hours bashing my head against
this :-)
On Friday, February 5, 2016 at 9:58:15 PM UTC, Matt Harden wrote:

http://play.golang.org/p/jH67WfoU9c

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 12:29 PM Alexander Kapshuk <alexande...@gmail.com
<javascript:>> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:53 PM, Jeffrey Smith
<jeffreys...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
I am trying to take the following bit of XML and Unmarshal then marshal it
again just to show I have the structs for it right.

http://play.golang.org/p/u7QJTs-994

I'm having trouble with the value section specifically these bits are
getting lost xml:lang="es" which tell me which language this has been
translated into.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<appStrings xmlns="http://schemas.company.net/2010-xdr-AppString-1.0">
<item name="ui.app.com.docmanager.main.myLibrary">
<value>My Library</value>
</item>
<item name="user.view.request.details.timetorespond">
<value>Time to Respond</value>
<value xml:lang="he">זמן להגיב</value>
</item>
<item name="user.view.request.details.takeOffHold">
<value>Taken off hold</value>
<value xml:lang="es">Tomado retenida</value>
<value xml:lang="he">המריא המתנה</value>
</item>
</appstring>

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong please ?

With error checking added to your 'xml.Unmarshal' call, I get:
error: XML syntax error on line 15: element <appStrings> closed by
</appstring>

See below:
http://play.golang.org/p/ea2MyWjzpK