Sorry for the late reply. Just found this email among the noise.

I indeed recently found the same discrepancy between the decoder's doc and
implementation. Moreover, decoders do not always return an error on invalid
input. There seems to be some pattern/system, but I'm not sure what it is.

I recently changed the Encoders to return errors. There is no single method
of replacement that is generally applicable so there is no way around this.
There are now two different decorators for handling errors. See CL
<https://go-review.googlesource.com/#/c/17701/1/encoding/encoding.go>

We could do a similar thing for Decoding. However, it is a bit more tricky
to do for Decoders (how many bytes should be gobbled per error). Also,
unlike with encoders, decoders should not return an error by default. This
makes the "decorator" technique used for encodings less suitable.

I think it would be fine for Decoders to simply never returning an error,
as the documentation suggests (one can always scan for U+FFFD), but it
would be good to know if people could use the errors or why different
errors were handled differently in the first place.