I remember, a year or three ago, discussing whether or not Encoding
transformers should return an error early, use a substitute character,
or be configurable between the two. I can't remember the details,
though. Marcel, do you?

Maybe we thought that people could write their own ForceDecode
function if they wanted to, although I'd make it a function that
returned a Transformer. Perhaps such a beast should live in
golang.org/x/text/transform.

In any case, it seems like a bug that the NewDecoder docs don't match
the implementation. One or the other should change.