Hello,

I lately had a look at the Computer Language Benchmarks Game
<http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u32q/go.php> to see how Go is
doing compared to other languages. What really surprises me is that Go is
much better on memory consumption than other GC-based languages such as
Java (see the column "Memory KB").

The various GCs in the JVM are really not that badly done. They belong to
the best GCs that exist. So how comes Go has memory consumption that is
multiple times lower than Java for many of the benchmarks in that Computer
Language Benchmarks Game? Go is even doing quite well compared to C. Is
that because Go has pointers whereas in Java and other GC-based languages
everything is a reference instead? But a reference is also some pointer. It
is just hidden to the developer that there is "a pointer behind the
reference" (you know what I mean). Anyone has an idea why memory
consumption in Go is that low?

Cheers, Haddock