Just wondering, does gzkp allocate more memory resources than gzstd?
On Thursday, July 30, 2015 at 4:43:03 AM UTC-7, Klaus Post wrote:
On Thursday, 30 July 2015 07:41:59 UTC+2, demetri...@gmail.com wrote:

How does performance compare to calling zlib/libzip via cgo?
Never ask that again. Getting it to compile under windows was a nightmare
;)

I have benchmarked cgzip along with Go standard library, my revised gzip,
pgzip as well as 7zip and gzip executable:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nuNE2nPfuINCZJRMt6wFWhKpToF95I47XjSsc-1rbPQ/edit?usp=sharing

At level 1 cgzip is slower 20% slower than the new zip and compresses
worse.
At level 9 cgzip is 20% faster, but compresses worse.

The test file is a 7GB highly compressible JSON. I might add Matt Mahoneys
10GB corpus - http://mattmahoney.net/dc/10gb.html - as a formal test,
although JSON and similar formats are probably more real-world scenario.

/Klaus