I have compiled in VirtualBox a program having 50,000 lines of code.

When the memory available to VirtualBox is 1.8 Gb, 6g stops with the
message "out of memory".
I increased the memory avalable to VirtualBox to 2.4 Gb and it compiles
with no problem.

Using "top", I could see that 6g is using more than 1.5 Gb of memory during
compilation.

Is it expected that the compiler uses this amount of memory, or have I come
across some pathological case ?

uname -a
   Linux nico-Qiana-Xfce 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:30:00
UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

   go version go1.3.2 linux/amd64