On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM, Dave Cheney wrote:
On 24 Mar 2015 08:06, "Peter Vessenes" wrote:

Thanks.

For my use case, seems like running the first phase and then punting if
there's no major changes would save a lot of stop the world time. Or just
turning this off; the scavenger isn't the only thing that will trigger a
GC, is it?

There may be an environment variable for this, I don't know it.
Can it just scavenge what was previously freed, without doing the free?
That would let me chew up memory as I see fit and not worry about the stops
so often if nothing is happening.

If no gc cycle is run, then nothing will be freed. That's the problem with
this line of argument. The scavenger relies on the gc to free allocations
on a page size piece of memory so it can advise the OS that the contents
are not needed.

Right, but a server doing nothing is not allocating (much); if we want the
server to be greedy or prefer uninterrupted availability, perhaps the
scavenger just takes what it's given. the GC would presumably still be run
when memory allocations exceed some threshold. To my mind, I'd like to make
that call as the server developer; I'm not complaining about the default
behavior particularly, and if it happened in 50ms chunks with no
perceivable downtime, I wouldn't complain at all. As it is, it happens in 1
to 5 second chunks very often.