What if x509.ParseCertificates would just return the error in combination
with the parsed certificate?

This would allow you to make an educated decision based on the error
message. While this could become a problem when you run into multiple
errors and it would make it more important for developers to actually check
the error message. But at least it would prevent us from having X
number ParseCertificate(s) functions.