Just to chime in late here, this is a highly annoying behaviour. Either the
gob Encoder should pass an error when encoding something larger than 1GB,
or the Decoder should proceed. I would prefer to raise the limit; is there
a practical reason for the 1GB size?

I also am wrestling with pre-processing large swaths of data, and want
multiple cores to talk to that data, making redis a bad plan. Also, redis
copies data in ram and saves to disk as part of its persistence strategy.

It can take a long time for a single thread to write large amounts of data
while it takes up double the RAM it should. Redis is great, but not that
suitable for storing a very large map. Add in how slow string processing
can be in golang, and you don't have a great solution.