In this case the data is complex enough that I'd probably rather roll with
the patches on tip; the thought of writing a bunch of nested data structure
parsers isn't so attractive; if it were simple fixed length records, that
would be great, though. I may come around to this at some point, thanks for
the pointer.

Peter