Having a small helper that panics on all errors is fine for experimental
code, but not acceptable in production code.

The error in question can actually occur if rand.Reader is set to something
other than its default. If you're not planning to replace Reader, this
(without a helper) might be tolerable:

b := make([]byte, 32)
if err := rand.Read(b); err != nil {
    panic(err) // Can't happen. rand.Read just reads /dev/urandom.
}

-- depending on how confident you are that dev/urandom can be read without
error. If in doubt, just do the usual error handling and pass on the error.

Niko