Because it is already published in that case and updating a map requires
synchronization which is what the example avoids.
On Dec 23, 2014 12:42 PM, "Mukund Rajamannar" wrote:

In the example http://golang.org/pkg/sync/atomic/#example_Value_readMostly
why are we creating a new copy of map1 in map2 before storing it into Value
again? If the consumers are bound to use only the read and update methods
(by some mechanism), shouldn't we be able to update the same map and store
it back? What are the pitfalls that are being avoided by making a full
copy?