Thank you for answering all my questions so concisely and thoroughly.

I understand now. So, a correct thing to try would've been:

~ $ curl http://rsc.io/pdf/pdfpasswd?go-get=1
<head>
URL='http://godoc.org/rsc.io/pdf/pdfpasswd'">
</head>
~ $ curl http://rsc.io/pdf?go-get=1
<head>
</head>

Which makes sense.

On Friday, November 28, 2014 4:19:50 PM UTC-8, gary b wrote:

First question, what is the purpose of doing a second query on the
example.org/ root?

See the comment at
https://code.google.com/p/go/source/browse/src/cmd/go/vcs.go#611
Second, what does it mean "contains the same meta tag"?
The tags are considered equal if the three fields in the content attribute
are equal.
I think most of my confusion comes from trying this out on rsc.io/pdf
vanity import path

The second query is for the prefix, not for the root of the domain.