Well, yes I created them each second (but not the tens of millions ones),
and no, the performance didn't permit what I mispoke before in the tens of
millions (sorry!). You can see for yourself the project here:

https://github.com/dskinner/htm

A level 11 subdivided sphere takes about 1.4 seconds on my laptop and would
produce roughly 4.2 million nodes if I'm remembering my math right :) but
then there is also a data structure that tracks edges during subdivision
for reuse later which produces quite a bit of data on top of that (the tens
of millions).

I doubt I could squeeze much more performance out of it that would be
significant with the current approach, but in practice, the GC overhead was
shy of 35% when I used pointers and dropping pointers allowed me to achieve
what I was after at the time which was partial subdivisions down to level
20 at about 30 frames per second.

I don't recall how much data that was producing though but I'd ball park it
in the 60k range of nodes in the tree plus accompanying edges.
Or did you put them in a cache for reuse ?
what I'm doing could very easily be cached to disk but I'm not doing that.