So after some further debugging it seems that after a call to
FreeOSMemory() this part of the profile disappears.

So my theory is that this span of memory was just not returned to the OS by
the scavenger because parts of it were being reused by other allocations.
I'm not 100% certain on the details of how the memory allocator and
scavenger work, but based on my understanding the scavenger returns spans
to the OS
roughly every 5 minutes if they are completely unused. However parts of a
span can be reused by the runtime for other allocations.

That would explain this behaviour.

Can anyone confirm my theory, or give another explanation?