Hmmm, I was unaware of the bug in gc. I had certainly noticed that there
was an impact on compile times. In any case, this approach has the
advantage of being a pure Go solution without any odd compiler or linker
steps, which certainly makes it useful (i.e. for app engine).

I've mentioned it in other threads, I believe that given the importance
that the Go team has placed on easy distribution of statically compiled
executables, there should be a tool to do the above included in the
standard distribution.