For the record,

I just uninstalled previous Go 1.1 and installed Go 1.2, and building
became about 4 times slower!

Good news is, I found the culprit - it's Panda Cloud Anti-Virus.

Even with exclusions for GOROOT and GOPATH configured, "go test" for a
"hello world" app takes 5 seconds now after upgrading to Go 1.2.

However, with Panda completely disabled, I now get build speeds of 0.06 -
0.1 seconds, which is even faster than the speeds most of you reported on
OSX and Linux?!? :-)

Now to find myself a new anti-virus package...

Any of you using LiteIDE? I'm finding that, under a console, "go test"
takes about a second in real time, though it reports much smaller numbers -
it's reporting the time it took to run the actual test, obviously. What's
odd is that, under LiteIDE, running a test takes considerably longer, like
3 seconds - even with Panda turned off. Any ideas why?