On my own system (Quad-core i7 with 8GB of RAM) it consistently takes about
2-3 seconds to compile a simple "hello world" program.

Pretty much anything I've compiled so far turns around in the same time,
which suggests to me that there may be some kind of overhead, not from
actually compiling the sources, but from launching the compiler.

I'm not going to complain about the performance, since this is already
faster than most compilers - but I noticed that, on the Go playground, the
turn-around time is barely noticeable at all, even for longer examples, and
so I have to wonder if there's some kind of overhead on my system for some
reason... I think it ought to be quicker locally than going over the web to
a shared server?

How quick is the compiler (for simple programs) on your system?

Is there an overhead for the compiler on Window that doesn't affect e.g.
Linux users?

Thanks,
    Rasmus