For the record, this is a bad way to use bufio.Writer. You should always
flush the buffer before closing the underlying writer or you will be
missing data. I suspect that your "working" JPEG and GIF images from your
original posted code are incomplete files too (just somewhat less
incomplete than 0-bytes).

As for the backgrounds, PNG is the only format that supports an alpha
channel, so the default pixel values of (0,0,0,0) will produce a
transparent background (0 alpha), while JPEG and GIF images will ignore the
alpha values and thus use the color of black (0,0,0). The white you see for
PNG, is either the result of the surface you are drawing it on, or how your
renderer shows transparent pixels when it doesn't handle an alpha channel.

If you want a black background, you should fill your image with (0,0,0,255)
before starting. Also if writing PNG files, if you use image.NRGBA (non
premultiplied alpha images), then encoding them to png files should be
faster and lossless as they don't need to be converted first; although for
non-transparent images the conversion should be lossless as well.