I only have experience with gtk+ so I'm no authority, but. All gui
libraries that I know are not made to be thread safe, but should be called
from the same thread it was initialized from. This works well if you
instruct users about it properly because in most languages you control
threads explicitly and you know how to synchronize between them. In gtk+
(and I see something similar in the go qml bindings) you usually install a
callback which is called when the gui main loop gets idle. The callback is
executed in the context of the main loop.

The thing with go is that threads can be created all the time and you don't
even know it. go routines are such an integral part of the language, that I
as a user would expected that gui libraries take care of allowing me to
call their code from multiple go routines. You can
check https://github.com/niemeyer/qml to see how you can do that in a
relatively nice way without locking all the time.