What could you do concurrently or in parallel, since the codebase is still
'single-threaded'?
That is, could curses start prompting the user for input while it draws the
screen? Or something?
I would guess there is nothing you could do that was correct and reliable.
In my memory the old thing would have to wait until the i/o was done,
anyway.

Perhaps you could reject any call that was not from the starting thread?
I guess the best is provide help for item 2).

Are there startups basing their product on ncurses?
It was designed originally for the vt100, hardware from 30 years ago. The
software is older than you (probably) are.
Best of luck.