The buffers are part of my type state and get progressively filled from
another go routine, one of many. It may be I'm over egging it but don't
want to change the design. I've figured how to do it without using
pointers. My actual problem is corruption which gets progressively worse
the more parallel paths I have through my pipline which is 6 main go
routines. I'm going through making sure I understand the implications and
I'm much clearer on references now but I've still failed to find any where
I'm doing it wrong so far.
I do pass references around a lot, return them a lot and between go
routines the message format uses the interface{} to hold references as
these messages are of different types. In all case except the one I asked
the question about the slices are pre-allocated to correct length in a
memory allocator which re-cycles blocks (necessary because its real-time).

Am I right in thinking that as long as slice size does not change I can
throw them around, in and out of empty interface etc with impunity?

Thanks for the help so far. The Wiki ref was a good read.

bob