We've just released our bindings for ImageMagick/GraphicsMagic. The former
is used by default, but the latter can be enabled using the gm build tag.
We debated for a few weeks which backend should be default, and we ended up
going for IM because it's better at handling optimized GIFs (GM can't
decode heavily optimized GIF images), although GM is noticeably faster.
Depending on your use case, you might be better off using the GM backend.

In our performance tests, we've found that GM is around 120x faster than
the image related modules in the standard library when it comes to
decoding/resizing/cropping/encoding images.

Source code is available at https://github.com/rainycape/magick

Regards,
Alberto