I wouldn't rewrite the C library unless you've got a compelling reason to
do so. If it's an established library, it's most likely reliable, and C is
probably faster than Go, so there's little to be gained in a rewrite.

Integrating Go and C is really simple. I suggest you look at my Gophia
binding of the Sophia library: http://www.github.com/craigmj/gophia. I read
about Sophia over coffee in the morning, and had learned Go-C integration
and written the binding by lunch. I would say that it's probably not the
best binding in the world, but to be honest, the binding process was so
simple, that I can't really see where I could have gone wrong.

The only points that anything other than elementary are memory handling,
especially with C strings, and calling C-variadic functions from Go: I
wrote small C wrapper functions to call each 'variation' of the underlying
function - the same solution that andelf resorted to with his/her gocurl
library: https://github.com/andelf/go-curl (see easy.go).

Have fun. I'm sure you'll join me in thanking the gods of Go for making C
integration so straightfoward.

All the best,
Craig