Sockets are recycled instantly, google TIME_WAIT, and use lsof -p on your process as it runs.

On 19/08/2013, at 23:24, Niko Schwarz wrote:

This page says that I have 16k ports to play with:

http://superuser.com/questions/145989/does-mac-os-x-throttle-the-rate-of-socket-creation

So, given that I never need more than 512 at any point in time -- what's wrong? Why aren't they recycled properly?

Niko