Thanks for your input! See my responses below:
On Saturday, 1 June 2013 11:11:13 UTC-7, Robert Johnstone wrote:

This is something that I would like to see as well. I'm certain I'm not
alone. I have a few comments to add to your summary.

1) The approach started by GoWebKit does not necssarily rely on GTK. For
example, you could use GTK with the GTK webkit on linux, and use a
different port of WebKit on windows with the windows native API. The idea
would be to provide a routine with a fixed signature to start a top-level
window that contains a WebKit widget. There is also the Chromium Embedded
Framework. The majore problem I've had with this approach is that, other
than GTK webkit, the others are poorly docuented, and* *I've not had the
time to get anything running.
This is where I hoped an effort like the wde[1] project would be a nice
fit. It would serve to be a cross-platform tool to create a window in order
to embed webkit in it. It shouldn't be too problematic to either fork one
of the webkit projects or submit a patch which would use wde as a backend.

2) One approach that you omitted is SWT, which is a Java toolkit that
wraps native widgets. This may be a good approach for Go as well, but it
would still be *a lot* of work. Eclipse has a reputation for being quite
slow, but it is not clear to me that the same approach in Go would
necessarily be slow as well.
While I agree that this might be better, long-term solution it would be, as
you say, a LOT of work. The solution I propose is much more attainable with
relatively less effort.

3) Wrap a smaller GUI library that is already cross-platform. Here we are
looking at wxWidgets or Tk. Wrapping these libraries in a manner that
makes for idiomatic Go would still be quite a bit of work, but would
probably be a lot less than wrapping a beast such as Gtk, which doesn't
even provide native widgets outside of Linux.
I thought of Tk, FLTK and some other simpler, straight UI toolkits. My
issue with these are that they aren't 'pretty' in the conventional sense. I
think to appeal to a broader audience of developers, one's who want to
create beautiful user interfaces, they would not be an entirely good
choice. This is why I thought the html/css route would be better.