Alas, on second thoughts, I'm not convinced this approach solves my
problems. It works nicely in the single-template case, but what if I have a
'base' template that includes many different pieces, perhaps a content
piece, and a 'user' piece, and a 'title' piece, and perhaps one or more
'content blocks'. I can't create different templates for each possible
combination.

So far, I've been using an approach of creating each 'piece' as a separate
template, then passing them into a base template as template.HTML pieces -
the same approach demonstrated
https://bitbucket.org/jzs/sketchground/src/4defb0a2ea64ed226680515efae4c5f8df5827a9/views.go?at=default.

But it is long-winded.

Any recommendations?