Thanks Dave, those look like great suggestions. I'm running Go 1.0.3 on Ubuntu:

# go version go version go1.0.3

# uname -a
Linux 4bf343d4-786f-4fa6-b37c-8bdd018fc63b 2.6.32-350-ec2 #57-Ubuntu SMP Thu Nov 15 15:59:03 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I'll work on gathering the SIGQUIT & GOGCTRACE output - didn't know about those techniques. I can't really share the source, and I'm not sure if there's a good way to cut it down to a sharable chunk, but I'll give it a shot. Strace was going to be my next move.

I think your theory in general makes sense, as I'm familiar with that kind of failure, but if that was the case, would it not immediately shoot up to 100% cpu usage as soon as the problem occurred? In this situation, the cpu usage creeps up quite slowly, in a nearly perfect linear fashion over the course of many hours.

- Ian