On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:53:21 AM UTC-8, Damian Gryski wrote:
I want to clarify the problem here. People are talking about
"recompling the application and redeploy". However, the objection is at
the _system_ level. So, on one of our servers there are 81 binaries in
/usr/bin linked against libssl.so . All 81 applications will be updated
against a security vulnerability by updating _one_ shared library. The
objection (from the sysadmin team) is that with static linking you now need
to recompile and deploy 81 packages (or however many rpms they actually
come from).
The deployment aspect of the problem is why systems like cfengine are a
good idea for any large organization.