You should know you're vulnerable because the authors of the binary you're
running should tell you what libraries they're using. The same as any other
binary authors telling you they use libfoo. You have to trust that when
they say they're using libfoo, that they actually are, and not something
else. Regardless of whether they link to it or not, they either might not
be actually using the linked dll... or they might have renamed/rebuilt it
and linked against a private copy... I've seen both of these situations in
production systems.

This does mean that you need to rely on the software vendor to update their
software when a vulnerability occurs, instead of installing a new basement
under their house for them. This is probably a good idea. And if they're
not reliable enough to get this done ASAP, maybe consider a different
vendor, or consider open source, where you can see the code and fix it
yourself.

I know this is not the black and white case you feel like you have with
replacing DLLs, but that world is a fallacy anyway.

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 7:49:32 AM UTC-5, den...@kaarsemaker.net