On Friday, October 19, 2012 1:57:45 PM UTC-7, Jan Mercl wrote:

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM, <ras...@notion.se <javascript:>>
wrote:
I know. But historically they have been called both goroutines and
processes. A large part of the goroutine implementation still lives in a
file called "proc.c" (see http://golang.org/src/pkg/runtime/proc.c) wherein
comments use both the term "process", "routine" and "goroutine".
The sub string "process" (case insensitive) occurs in the linked file
exactly once: http://golang.org/src/pkg/runtime/proc.c#L41

And that occurrence in no way mixes goroutines and processes.
"Process"
is just a more generic name and more people (i.e. not familiar with go) will
have a better idea of what we are talking about.
What? E.g. processes virtual memory address spaces are isolated from
other processes. Goroutines work in the exactly opposite way.
Processes are typically preemptively scheduled, goroutines
cooperatively. Processes are exposed by the OS, goroutines are not.
And so on and so on...

-j
Wow, you guys really care about this. In CS, the concept of a "process" is
a generic term for the logical unit of a program. In an operating system
with preemptive scheduling, the term "process" might be used to describe a
program. Memory address might or might not be separate. Some operating
systems use cooperative scheduling (common in real-time systems.) The term
"goroutine" is simply a "trademark name" used to say "a process in the go
system". Since this group is all about go, these seems to be little need to
explicitly state the term "goroutine" since "process" is equally
describing, except in the case the discussion is about different types of
processes (host system vs go, for instance.) I'm very well aware what a
goroutine is and the various types of scheduling approaches and processes
that are or have been around.

My initial question has nothing to do with terminology, but with an
interesting design choice in the go scheduler.

Let's be adults and not start some kind of "flame war" over different
opinions of what a common term means.

groupgolang-nuts @
categoriesgo
postedOct 19, '12 at 5:32a