It should also be noted that way this handles packet ACKs, requires that
you maintain a steady and timed stream of back/forth communication. This
package was mostly written with multiplayer games in mind. In these cases,
you are polling for network activity (usually) once every frame. This
maintains the steady data stream.

Sending/receiving data as fast as possible, outside of a game loop context
can be done as-is, but it does mean that you have send empty (nil payload)
packets on a regular basis in order to keep the ACK synchronisation going.