On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Nigel Tao wrote:
On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:08 PM, Nigel Tao wrote:
I asked the snappy-compression mailing list (where the C++ snappy code
is discussed) for their thoughts. I'll crunch some C++ numbers
tomorrow (it's getting late here in Sydney):

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/snappy-compression/3Qa3fASLkNA
FWIW, my reading of that discussion thread is that Steinar Gunderson
(one of the C++ snappy authors) reckons that while it's much better
throughput on binary data and slightly worse on textual data, the "1 +
((s - lit) >> 5)" skipping algorithm is a net negative for the C++
implementation, so I'm less inclined to adopt it for the Go
implementation, whether in golang/snappy or in compress/flate.
Ah, the sentiment seems to be turning on that thread. As I said
earlier, if the C++ google/snappy maintainers can be convinced to
change their skipping algorithm to yours, then I'm happy to adopt your
skipping algorithm. Kudos to you.