On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 2:10 AM, Russ Cox wrote:
But in an important
library like compress/flate it might still be worth doing for as much as a
20% overall reduction if the amount of assembly is reasonable. There's no
hard line. (Klaus's excellent work is going to make it that much more
reasonable to start compressing our package archives.)
Changing the topic... if compression throughput performance affects
whether or not it's reasonable to compress our package archives, have
we considered (and rejected??) using snappy instead of gzip?