If the bug can be categorized into a particular component, you can freeze
that component immediately until the bug is fixed. That will make bugs
highest priority explicitly. I believe many companies do it the way as well.

--

An interesting observation, as an outsider, is the different opensource
approaches conducted by the Go project and Apple's Swift project.

The Go project uses the issue tracker provided by Github, but does not use
the pull request.
The Swift project does the opposite. They host their own JIRA bug tracker
but embrace the Github's built-in pull request.

This arguably creates different and biased economic incentives/barriers for
the two projects.

For Go contributors, opening an issue about bugs, feature requests, or some
random proposals is very cheap, which unfortunately also requires manpower
to examine, verify and response. As we all know, there is no shortage of
ideas and bug reports. However, contributing code to the Go project has a
much higher barrier, not that it's technically difficult but the lack of
incentives to learn and set up an exotic workflow and environment that are
not very useful in other places.

But for Swift contributors, raising a bug or proposal is more cumbersome
than sending a patch. I remember they got dozens of typos fixed and minor
cleanups by random strangers just in the first week after putting the code
online.
I sometimes half-jokingly think that the Swift guys have learned that from
the Go project.

That being said, the Go toolchain is very simple and friendly to dive in,
in terms of codebase. It has no complicated build system (no autotools,
CMake, or yet-another build tool messes that pull a shitload of other
dependencies), very fast development iteration, close-to-zero dependency
etc..

In summary, I suggest more intimate integration with Github (that is,
properly utilizing its functionalities like pull request) and leveraging
resources like drone.io and coveralls.io for QA like other large Go
projects do, instead of just heavily relying on code review.