On Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:05:06 AM UTC-6, Robert Zaremba wrote:
If you are using Go package release, then *go-mode** in
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp takes precedence. So you need either:

- delete /substitute files from /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/go-mode*
and use the ones from go repo.
- load your *go-mode** files, by (load-file "path to the file"),
before go-mode is used.

Indeed my previous example was 2 different systems.
One I symlinked into site-lisp and one I used the load stuff in my ~/.emacs
I think I fell back on the symlink because it was not happy with the load
bits on the 2nd system.
Despite having used emacs for ... ever, I have intentionally avoided
getting to know it's insides.

*package.el* is a package manager for Emacs. It is bundled in Emacs 24
(also available as a separate package in Emacs 23) and automates the
process of package installation. More about it you can find on
http://batsov.com/articles/2012/02/19/package-management-in-emacs-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/
post.
But if you are not confident about package management in Emacs, then stay
with go-mode author (Dominik Honnef) advice.
And on the global loading side, speedwise I have never expected emacs to be
blazingly fast ;)

--

---