One way to get the triggers functionality using Google Cloud Function is
creating an specific bucket in GCS then creating new objects there when you
want to something happens in GFS in background.

If you want to call GFS synchronously you can use the out-of-box HTTP
endpoints.

So I think we can take Google Cloud Functions + Firebase Storage as a way
to use the "triggers-like" functionality.

I will try to create some POC.

Best regards,

Douglas