Documentation for comint-prompt-read-only suggests a workaround:

You may wish to put something like the following in your init file:

(add-hook 'comint-mode-hook
(lambda ()
(define-key comint-mode-map "\C-w" 'comint-kill-region)
(define-key comint-mode-map [C-S-backspace]
'comint-kill-whole-line)))

With that hook I can select the entire sbt buffer and kill it with C-w,
getting the prompt back.