I used ES for one year I like all features it provides except the query
DSL. The json style DSL is not intuitive and was confused me for a while
when I was putting multiple conditions together at very beginning.

enlightened by Jira, I am thinking why don't ES create a DSL like:

project = ES AND issuetype = "New Feature" AND fixVersion = 3.1 ORDER BY
created DESC, cf[10514] DESC

this kind of external DSL needs a parser which might be the reason ES chose
json style internal DSL at beginning. But from user perspective, the
external DSL is much better to understand and use. I know there are SDKs
for most of popular languages which relieves people's life a lot, but an
easier query DSL is still valuable to people who want to directly play with
ES's rest api.