I believe it is possible with root on a device. However, the networks that
you're attached to may case complications. Carrier networks may not pass
your traffic, or you might be beating a hornet's nest a bit there. On WiFi
networks things are a bit tricky too due to the way layer 2 is implemented.
Just some thoughts...

Joshua