Hi Steve,
AFAIK there is no really difference between "between" and >=, <= since
Oracle internally translate between clause into < / > clauses, but maybe
someone knows better than me :-)

In the end of your explain plan you have Access and Filter predicates
(BETWEEN query). They must be different since access predicate is for row
find (lower bond) and filter for row filtering after find (higher bond).

I'd say that for both querys this access and filter predicates need to be
equal.

You have also 10053 trace file to the rescue..

Can you show us the explain plan for both querys?