for a language that runs on both, I'd second (or nth!) the perl
recommendations. For Windows only then powershell might be available to
you, your windows admins will be impressed and for the more basic stuff its
a lot like shell.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scriptcenter/bb410849 is an excellent
resource for this sort of stuff.

Niall