I just finished running a set of ORION tests for a customer here in
Chicago, and I've used this tool a few times in the past. I don't think
there's anything ASM-specific about ORION. Generally you hand it block
devices - without any form of filesystem. I think the test would be
just as valid whether you intend to install ASM or a filesystem on that
device. It's a pretty basic tool; just doing random I/O operations with
the system calls and block sizes most commonly used by Oracle. Also it
lets you vary the concurrency and block sizes, in order to get a sense
for the capabilities of your I/O subsystem.

Interestingly, my customer here gets better performance in "real life"
(using SAR and AWR) than what the ORION benchmark indicated we should
expect. (Though of course, it's still significantly less than the "raw
throughput" capabilities of the disks, measured with dd.)

-Jeremy

Martin Bach wrote:
Good evening!

I've got a question about ORION - is it possible to run ORION against ASM
disks? I have checked the documentation which seems to be 10.2 still and
it says no, but maybe there is some undocumented functionality in it? I
also assume that write tests, even if they were possible with ORION, are
still destructive.

Any pointers apprciated!

Martin

PS: 11.2.0.2 RAC on OEL 5.564bit
--
http://www.ardentperf.com
+1 312-725-9249

Jeremy Schneider
Chicago

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJan 12, '11 at 5:15p
activeJan 12, '11 at 10:29p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Martin Bach: 1 post Jeremy Schneider: 1 post