List,

We recently upgraded a test database from 8.1.7.4 to 10.2.0.4 in preparation
for the production upgrade tomorrow. People were testing an application and
some reports. Suddenly everyone reported that their session was "frozen".
Some checking in the alert log revealed that there were many suspended
sessions. They reported a datafile couldn't extend. But that datafile had
plenty of space. So we checked the temp tablespace which was still stored as
a data file (not a true tempfile) and dictionary managed. The report
session that had hogged the temp space was killed and everything quickly
returned to normal.

Has anyone seen a spurious message like this?
We have converted the temp tablespace on the test database to a locally
managed tempfile, but there won't be time to replicate the situation before
the production conversion.

Our plan for production is to convert the temp tablespace to a locally
managed tempfile as part of the upgrade. And create a separate temp
tablespace for the report user.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis Williams