Hi List,

I just wanted to share something very helpful I just found out about
that might save you a lot of time if you need to perform redirected
restores (aka alternate host restores, cross-host restores, alternate
node duplicate database, etc.). In the past, you had to run the restore
on your target host as the same username that originally ran the backup
on your source host. In the past, this hasn't been a problem for me
since I always installed as the "oracle" user so my source and target
hosts always matched. Recently however, I've started working with some
Oracle Apps (EBS) environments, and it seems to be standard procedure in
these environments to install under different usernames such as oraprod,
oradev, oratest, etc. so I just encountered this problem for the first
time. Veritas* and Metalink** both mention cumbersome workarounds for
the problem that involve removing the setuid bit from the oracle binary,
but I just found out that in Netbackup for Oracle 6.0 MP4*** they have
fixed this problem by changing the ownership and permissions of the
backup images so that they can be restored by other users as long as
they are members of the same group. Here is an example of the
difference as seen in the output of the bplist command:

NB for Oracle 6.0 before MP4:

[oraprod_at_prodhost ~]$ bplist -t 4 -k Oracle-rman-PROD-arc -l -R -s
10/06/08 /

-rw------- oraprod oraprod 38273024 Oct 06 08:27
/PROD_al_398_1_667394787

After applying MP4:

[oradevl_at_devhost ~]$ bplist -C prodhost -t 4 -k Oracle-rman-PROD-arc -l
-R -s 10/06/08 /

-rw-rw---- oraprod dba 40108032 Oct 07 08:37
/PROD_al_417_1_667481804

You can see above that we were able to list the backups taken by the
oraprod user on the production server with the bplist command being
executed by the oradevl user on the development server (prior to MP4,
this bplist command would just return "EXIT STATUS 227: no entity was
found"), and you can see that the backups are now owned by oraprod:dba
instead of oraprod:oraprod. Once we were able to see the production
backups from the development server, we were then able to run the
redirected restore (or duplicate database in our case) successfully.

Hopefully this will help someone else that runs into the same problem
because it took us a few days to figure out we needed to upgrade to MP4
to get this functionality - unfortunately it is not well documented by
either Symantec or Oracle.

Regards,

Brandon

*http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/241957.htm