From : oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org
To : oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com
Cc : oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Date : Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:15:41 -0500
Subject : Re: Oracle RAC and VIPs

The basic gist is this:
The VIP is a cluster resource managed by the clusterware. Depending on
your OS, you can see it running as a VIP under your public network NIC.
(ifconfig -a on Linux). What happens in a node failure is that the
clusterware brings that VIP resource up on another node so that when clients
attempt connects to that IP, the 'failure' is detected right away and the
client can use the next address in the tnsnames.ora entry (or jdbc url, or
whatever).

Try it out sometime. take a node node, use srvctl to see where the vips are
running and look at the ifconfig to see as well.

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 8:30 AM, Dba DBA