On 11/28/06, Chris Marquez wrote:
Modify Snapshot without drop

RH Linux
9.2.0.5

I need to alter my base table (add columns) and thus also the remote db
MView referring to it.

I don't mind doing some RTFM and I have been on Metalink this morning
without much luck.
I just tried this on Oracle 10.2.0.2 on Linux:

Create table
Create MV log on table
Create Mv on source table ( all in same account on one database)

Add column to source table
Add same column to MV table
unregister and register snapshot with a new query via dbms_mview.register

A complete refresh still works for the original columns, but does not update
the new column.

Adding the query via dbms_mview did not have any effect on
sys.snap$.query_txt
(as seen in dba_snapshots)

Updating sys.snap$ directly with a new query did not fix it either.

However, monkeying with snap$ did break the DD, as the following
error will show:

11:48:49 SQL> /

alter materialized view mv_target compile

*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-12003: materialized view "MV_TARGET" does not exist

Oops. I guess that is why we don't modify the Data Dictionary. :)

There's probably other ways to go about this, but this is
the only one I tried.

--
Jared Still

grouporacle-l @