But do the new columns need to be added to the remote MV also -
and if yes, will they have the same value - ie is it something
like

add (new_col default new_val) ?

You can add the new column, but it will not be populated.
I think there's a misunderstanding here, I was just asking to Chris
whether the new column, that has to be added on the base table,
possibly with a default value, has to be propagated to the MV also (so
with the same value) or not.

Eg
old mv : create materialized view as select a from t_at_dblink
say you "alter table t add (new_column int default 42)"
has the mv to be logically modified to
create materialized view as select a, new_column from t_at_dblink
or does it stay the same, ignoring new_column ?

--
Alberto Dell'Era
"Per aspera ad astra"

grouporacle-l @