On 6/16/06, Michael Ray wrote:
We've been having ORA-04030 instance crashes every 3-5 weeks since
moving from 8.1.7 on NT to 10gR2 on a more powerful server, and Oracle's
first recommendation is to use this switch but MS says it's not supported.

Does anyone have experience using this switch with the Standard Edition
of 2003 in a production environment?

"Caution: Microsoft supports using the /3GB switch in Windows Server
2003, Standard Edition in a production environment for use by Active
Directory. For other applications, Microsoft supports using the /3GB
switch in Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition only in a production
environment if the application vendor has tested in this environment and
if the vendor is willing to support the customer who is using this
functionality."
You'd obviously want to confirm with Oracle via a tar that they will
support you, in principle however they do. If your new more powerful
server is 64bit you may wish to read Note 370466.1.

We found that we had great success using SGA_TARGET/MAX_SIZE and
especially PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET to allow Oracle to allocate memory to
user threads on windows.

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedJun 16, '06 at 2:05p
activeJun 16, '06 at 2:43p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Michael Ray: 2 posts Niall Litchfield: 1 post